Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Family Wedding! Excuse to Knit Something Beautiful



I live the life of a step-mom, who works outside the home, even though my office is in my house. I start work early in the morning. While still in bed, I grab my computer and coffee. Eventually I move to the kitchen island, then down to my office. There are days when I'm so busy that I don't make it out of my pajamas until late afternoon. These days my idea of a fabulous evening is crawling into bed with my knitting and watching "Boston Legal". No longer do I dress in elegant evening clothes, but there still enough of the former "party girl" in my spirit that I swoon over beautiful items I see in magazines. When I saw this pattern in the latest issue of "Cast On", I could barely contain myself.

Even if I did have a reason to wear this, it would need sleeves . . . or I would need to drop 20 lbs and do my Windsor Pilates everyday. Yet, I really, really wanted to make it.

A wonderful thing has happened. My niece got engaged on St. Patrick's Day. We're a small family, so any wedding is a HUGE event. My niece, Kathryn, is marrying into a big Irish family that loves to celebrate any and all occasions. I knew this was the opportunity for me to satisfy the lust to knit something extravagant and beautiful. I immediately sent her the photo and asked for permission to make it. Thankfully she said, "yes" and picked out a lovely golden yellow color, called Sutra. It will be fabulous with her red hair and beautiful skin. Oh, my heart is racing.


The first engagement party is scheduled for May 6th. This is the excuse I've needed to drop everything (including the Jaeger sweater on the size 3 needles). I had to search online for this yarn as time is of the essence. I found it at Royal Yarns at 4 AM, while searching the web (this is compulsion . . or passion, which one, I'm not sure),and by Noon it was on it's way to me.

The package will arrive at my door today or tomorrow. (My hope is that Doug won't be here so the litany of "Package DuJour!" and "Do you really need more yarn?" will start.)

Kathryn is coming to town on Saturday to shop for her wedding dress. My sister and I will be accompanying her to the various bridal shops around town. I'll have my tape measure and be making notes as she's undressing. I've already found tiny golden beads at my local bead store. I'm gearing up for a marathon. Sunday I will start.

This will be a true labor of love . . .for my niece and for the "party girl" in me.


Subscribe to Who Gives a Knit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home