Saturday, March 25, 2006

Kate & Beverly in NYC


For a week I've been meaning to write about the weekend in New York. I have been so busy that there hasn't been a lot of time to reflect on the two very full days of two reacquainted friends discovering new parts of a city we both love . . .and getting "caught up" on the last 30 years of our lives. We talked, and talked . . . . and talked. We didn't leave our hotel room until long after the average tourist had hit the streets. Yet, how do you adequately cover the the last thirty years in what turned out to be too few hours? We talked on subways, on benches, in coffee shops, in restaurants. We stayed up late talking until we couldn't keep our eyes open. IT WAS TERRIFIC. I left feeling that we had taken very different journeys, yet they brought us full circle back to each other.

On a much lighter note, we explored the yarn stores of Soho and Greenwich village. The photo above is one taken in the tiny shop "Purl Soho". (The woman who owns Purl authored one of my favorite knitting books "Knitted Gifts"). Julia Roberts was there while we were. They didn't pay any more attention to her than they did to us . . .which made us both feel special. After leaving Purl, we walked over to The Point Knitting Cafe, where we could sit and drink coffee, and play with the yarn. Beverly, who is not a knitter, purchased $150 worth of yarn. I warned her that it's as addicting as methamphetimine!

While in NYC, we purchased matching crocheted sweaters from Century 21 (world's biggest and most crowded high-end discount store). Bev was busted for trying on jeans in the aisles. We bought matching handpainted silk and crocheted shawls from the Museum of Design and Architecture. (I haven't bought matching items with a friends since high school.) We ate oysters at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, had a wonderful greek dinner at AVRA, (one of my favorite places) and ate bad pizza in our room.

I was proud that I made it out of NYC without purchasing a single skein of yarn. Of course, I missed Doug saying "Did you really need more yarn?" (We all know the answer to that one.) However, I added bamboo flex needles (great to use on planes since they're short stemmed) to my ever growing collection of knitting needles.

Yesterday I was digging around in my purse looking for a crochet hook and I pulled out a beautiful little bag with two gorgeous knitting needles protectors (I didn't know that knitting needles protectors could be gorgeous, but they can). I remembered looking at them in the store. Then I panicked thinking that perhaps I had inadvertently shoplifted them! Fortunately, attached to the bag was a note that read, "Thanks for the invitation, Love, Beverly".

Thank you Beverly for a weekend we will both remember.

Subscribe to Who Gives a Knit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home