Monday, March 27, 2006

My New Favorite Thing



While traveling to Raleigh last week, I realized that a purchase I made at Purl Soho in NYC was destined to become one of my favorite "knitting things". I picked up a Lantern Moon silk taffeta bag. I could have purchased it locally, but I like having items that recall the trips I've taken and where I got them. I got the dark red bag.

What I love about it is it's small, only 5"Wx8"H, and lightweight . . .like a feather. I put in one skein of yarn, tossed in my snubbed-nosed, airline-acceptable scissors and a small project (not the aran sweater I started for Doug for Valentine's and now is destined to be received at Christmas). All fit neatly in my briefcase.

With space on airplanes being so tight . . .especially if you're not in first class, and I'm not . . . this is the perfect solution. I've lost many balls of yarn in moving vehicles. Since I'm no gymnast and my yoga skills are very rusty, this saved me from trying to track them down. It hangs lightly on the arm. I know, because I'm recovering from dog bites received while breaking up a vicious pug fight (another story), and my arm was really sore. I didn't even notice that the bag was hanging there.

It's nice to use around the house. I can lie in bed or sit on the couch and it fits so close to the body that the cats and pugs don't notice it. Normally they think my knitting is really about "activity-time" for them.

With several trips coming up in the next few weeks (Louisville, NYC, Pittsburgh, Sarasota and Indianapolis), I will be using it a lot. It will be perfect to hold the Berroco Zen ribbon yarn for the "Floral Tube Top & Neckpiece" by Carole Powell (in the latest issue of CAST ON) that I'm making for my niece's engagement party. I found out last night that I have to have it finished before May 6th . . so it will be with me during the next few weeks. II must put aside the Jaeger cable sweater. . .and, of course, Doug's aran sweater for the time-being. . . .and enjoy my favorite new thing.

Subscribe to Who Gives a Knit?

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug Spak said...

Kate,

Nice piece. While an aran sweater sounds nice (whatever that is), may I suggest that you knit somethat that might give me much more enjoyment. Some thoughts:
-A little Dominican au paire
-Two tickets to Red's opening day
-A week in Jamaica
-A leisure suite

I suppose if you got Lou to help, you guys could crank any of these items out in a few days. And please don't worry about having them blseed.

Love to all,
Doug Spak

3/31/2006 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home