Saturday, March 25, 2006

Creative Knitting





Today I'm going to a knitting class. . . "Creative Knitting". I've been thinking about it for weeks with excited anticipation. I've never been to a knitting class. In fact, I really don't remember who taught me how to knit. I know I learned when I was young, but I don't remember how young. The first major piece I remember knitting was a royal blue sweater for a friend of mine when I was 18 years old. It wasn't a very good sweater, but at the time he was in love with me and he wore it all the time. (I wish I could remember his name. I just remember he was kind, funny, and supportive.) Obviously, my memory leaves much to be desired.

Today I'm going with my friend Lou, who is a truly wonderful knitter and dear friend (another kind, funny, supportive man), He suggested we go together. I'm very flattered, as he is the most accomplished knitter I know. I find that knitting in his company is simultaneously amusing, stimulating and comforting. (Selfishly, it's good to be around someone who's better than myself . . .that way I can always be learning.) We are going to create a modular sweater without a pattern with odds and ends of yarn . . .something that is truly our own. It will be good to share this experience with someone who will make me laugh at myself and perhaps share in my creative anxiety.

See, I am someone who has vision about how things should look when I create. When I can't envision the end product, I get stuck. (Ask me about the huge canvas that's been on the easel in the diningroom for months.) Right now as I go through my stash, I'm not envisioning anything. What to take? What needles do I want to use? If I take my good stuff, will I be sorry that I used it on a project that I may never wear?

This morning I decided the visioning should be about the knitter I'll become. One who can pull together yarns, create fabulous items out of odds and ends, and design one of a kind items with true artistic flair. Today is about enjoying the experience . . .allowing myself to just allow the muse to come out and play . . .enjoying the moment with a good friend.

Someday someone may ask how I learned to knit like I do and I'll reply. " I don't remember, I just remember I enjoyed the journey . . .and I shared it with people who were funny, kind and supportive."

Subscribe to Who Gives a Knit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home